Writing is a craft and one of the key requirements in conveying any research. It is also a vital part of academia and requires creativity but also scientific robustness. ETHOS Lab acknowledges this desk-work as an analytical process that needs to be taken seriously, which is why we run weekly #shutupandwrite sessions. This semester, it is coordinated by Junior Researchers Amalie, Tea and Marianna alongside Lab Assistant Luuk and Lab Manager Marie.
Thursdays 13:00-16:00 in ETHOS Lab (3A30 at ITU).
Starts on Thursday 5 March 2020
Ends on Thursday 28 May 2020
Join us to fight writer’s block!
Writing is hard! No matter whether you are doing your thesis or working on a different project, actually taking the time to sit down and write is difficult. So why not do it together?
Join us for Thursday afternoons of writing where we will be following the Inframethodology presented by Thomas Basbøll. Prepare a list of (3-6) key sentences (potentially along with references) that you would like to write a paragraph about. We will spend 27 minutes writing one paragraph about one key sentence, then take 3 minutes break, constituting 1 writing block.
Each Thursday, we will do 6 writing blocks from 13:00 to 16:00 at ETHOS Lab. Everyone is welcome; also to drop in and out during the 3 minutes breaks. While we suggest bringing key sentences with you, the only requirement is really that you sit down (and shut up) and write for an afternoon.
The initiative was introduced to the IT-University by co-head of lab Rachel Douglas-Jones, also co-teaching the course ‘Writing Innovation Studio’. Rachel has successfully been organizing #shutupandwrite sessions for ETHOS Lab researchers and refers to the blog ‘The Thesis Whisperer‘ by Dr. Inger Mewburn, Director of Research Training at the Australian National University for inspiration.
No matter what you are writing on – please join in the sessions and read more about the advantages of making them part of your study/academic rhythms.
Resources for writing:
- The Thesis Whisperer by Associate Professor Inger Mewburn https://thesiswhisperer.com/
- The Researcher Whisper: https://theresearchwhisperer.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/shut-up-and-write-year-later/
- Academic phrase bank: http://www.phrasebank.manchester.ac.uk/
- Inframethodology by Thomas Basbøll from the Copenhagen Business School’s Library
- Writers & Editors: http://www.writersandeditors.com/preface__foreword__or_introduction__57375.htm
- Narrative nonfiction: http://www.writersandeditors.com/narrative_nonfiction_57378.htm